St. James was founded in 1847, and the first church was built in 1849 on the corner of Hurd and Green Streets.
As the town and the Catholic Community grew, soon it was standing room only for the parishioners.
The interior was ornate, with gilt fittings and stained glass.
Many remember the day that the original church was razed, ending a chapter in St. James history, but opening a new one to the future.
Father A. Robert Casey, Pastor through much of the ’60s, ’70’s and ’80s led the parish in building a new, modern, multi-purpose church.
Designed by Jack Teitsch, longtime parishioner, the church’s modern design raised eyebrows with many, but the beautiful design has served the parish well for nearly 40 years, and will for many more.
The grand stained glass window now reminds parishioners of the legacy that generations before us left to thrive in this Upstate New York Catholic Community.
The sense of community has sustained St. James for generations. In that spirit, The Mustard Seed was founded in 1981 to extend the reach of St. James to some of the rural areas of the parish. It provides food and household goods to those in need.
Recently, St. James extended our community far outside the boundaries of Madison County, by providing aid and assistance to our sister parish in Haiti. Each year, a delegation of parishioners travels to Haiti to help to improve living conditions there.